[OSM-talk] Metrics

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 17:15:32 UTC 2021

On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 11:25 PM Mateusz Konieczny via talk <
talk at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> Similarly I suspect that some were paid by/measured by reduction
> of problems no longer detected by validators.
>
> Note that "problem is fixed" and "problem is no longer detected by
> validator"
> is not the same.

I have actually seen a lot of this.  Some mappers, whatever their
motivation, seem to specialize in just making changes so that some
validator no longer flags an error/warning, regardless if the change they
made reflects reality on the ground.  One common such change is to tag the
place where a transportation feature crosses a water feature as a ford,
even if there is no evidence of this in the imagery or other sources.
Another common one is adding noexit=yes on the last node of a way that ends
near another way when there is no evidence as to whether it really
connects. Typically when one comments on changesets involving such changes,
one never gets a reply.

I suspect that some people are motivated to simply "run up the score."

Mike