[OSM-talk] EG/Doxxing | Re: New moderation team & etiquette guidelines for talk@ & osmf-talk@ list

Allan Mustard allan at mustard.net
Fri Jun 10 02:34:21 UTC 2022

"Edit shaming" is any effort to humiliate or discourage a member of the
OSM community from expressing a viewpoint, opinion, or fact, or
otherwise to participate in OSM community affairs, due to said member's
relatively low number of edits of the OSM geospatial database ("the
map"). Hypothetical examples of "edit shaming" might be posts to the
talk lists including such verbiage as:

"Who do you think you are to express an opinion on Topic X with only 863
changesets under your belt?"
"Anyone with fewer than 5,000 changesets should not be allowed to run
for the OSMF board."
"I don't think that you know what you are talking about, given that you
have only ten days of mapping this year."

Some members of our community contribute in ways that do not involve
mapping, including voluntary participation in working groups,
operations, event organization, software development, and overall
management of the foundation (*ahem*). Shaming such people because their
mapping activity doesn't meet some other community member's view of what
it should be to have credibility is unacceptable, intolerable, and will
not be countenanced. In short, efforts to humiliate other community
members on these grounds will rapidly draw the attention of the moderators.

This has nothing to do with a community member's command of English (or
any other language) or with the quality of edits. The former is not a
concern at all--we are not a book publisher--and quality of edits is the
domain of the Data Working Group.

cheers,
Allan Mustard
apm-wa (only 82 mapping days with 349 changesets in the last year, a
severe dropoff from years past)