[OSM-talk] change OSM documentation license to CC 4.0

Stephan Knauss osm at stephans-server.de
Tue Sep 6 17:22:31 UTC 2022

Hello,

copyright page states:

"Our documentation is licensed under the Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license (CC BY-SA 2.0)."

https://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright

Same is stated in the wiki.

Could we please upgrade this to a CC BY SA 4.0 license to avoid
especially for US users doing slight mistakes in attribution a lawsuit
claim of 150k USD?

https://creativecommons.org/2022/02/08/copyleft-trolls/

It might be an interesting idea though to get some money back from these
using OSM data without attribution.

Just find users still using the old (10+ years) OSM CC 2.0 licensed
data. Or users of the fosm fork data containing any of your edits.
Check for slight attribution mistake, even in the past. Then make $$$

PS: no, please don't.