[Tile-serving] Real time tile merging strategy

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Mon Apr 1 00:07:00 UTC 2013

This is exactly what I do with mapproxy 1.4 and my imagery layer formed by
merging multiple layers. The composite layer could change but the underlying
source layers were fixed, and slow to generate a tile from the WMS that
backed them. It worked well, but you'd want all TMS sources involved to
interpret meta-tiles in the same way.

Mapproxy was patched to allow this kind of compositing to be done without
going through HTTP requests and it is definitely far easier to understand
configurations when they are not referring to other layers in the same
config in this manner. It also makes the configs more portable.