[Tile-serving] how to expedite coastlines shapefile updates?

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Sun Apr 14 00:06:04 UTC 2013

shoreline_300 doesn't need regular updates, it's only used at low zooms. It
is just a simplified version of processed_p. I'm not sure off-hand exactly
what zooms it is used at, but I doubt

If this is historical, as I presume, you need to set up your own coastline
generation process. This would consist of running coastcheck or OSMCoastline
on a planet file. For the full OSM data, this process takes 1-2 hours once
you have the planet file.

I haven't benchmarked them on comparable hardware, but OSMCoastline is
reported to be a bit faster.

https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/39 may relevant
to using the coastline files.