[Tile-serving] osm-carto benchmarking attempts

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Sun May 12 20:26:51 UTC 2013

On 12 May 2013 19:42, Paul Norman <penorman at mac.com> wrote:
> Adding sudo apt-get install g++ build-essential got this working, otherwise it was failing on millstone when it tried to find a compiler or make. There might be a difference here between the ubuntu.org images and the EC2 images.

OK, noted. I was using a Ubuntu.com "cloud image" [1], perhaps that
has some build-essential stuff in it that a stock ubuntu-server image
doesn't.

> I know I have a habit of getting the hard steps done easily and getting stuck on the easy steps, but I think the compiling step is going to be a hurdle to people not developing with TileMill.

Sure, but I doubt there are going to be that many people developing
the stylesheets without using TileMill - that's almost entirely the
point of the carto port in the first place. There may be a few techies
(like yourself. and I know Jochen hit similar problems) who are
concentrating on server-side kind of tasks and therefore don't need or
perhaps want a TileMill install, but the main aim here is to lower the
barrier to entry (or at least increase the fun level) for
cartographers, and there's a much, much bigger pool of TileMill-using
cartographers than there ever have been
raw-xml-and-fiddling-with-generate-tiles-parameters cartographers.

Of course, every level of abstraction added will help some aspects of
the task, but add faff like this in other aspects!

Cheers,
Andy

[1] http://cloud-images.ubuntu.com/quantal/current/quantal-server-cloudimg-vagrant-amd64-disk1.box