[Tilesathome] Render Queue getting bigger

Sebastian at SSpaeth.de Sebastian at SSpaeth.de
Tue Sep 18 21:55:33 BST 2007

On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 09:48:01PM +0100, Dermot McNally wrote:
> upload these - if so, can anyone here issue me with a username (I
> requested one from Ben, but he may have considered it non-urgent in
> the circumstances).
i'm usually not handing these out, but if you mail me directly a
username you'd like to use, i can give you access tomorrow.

> 2. Might there be value in a modification to the client that would
> allow the API request to target a larger bounding box encompassing a
> number of adjacent tiles? This would need work on the server, clearly,
> to instruct the clients as to when to do this, but it might be a way
> of maximising the impact of a successful request. (downside: bigger
> bounding box = more server load).
not really. a)the api server can't hand out bigger areas now, so it
would require server mods. b)people already report that their renderers
crash because large areas with lots of data use large amounts of ram and
c) a map dowload can easily take 5-10 minutes already. by doubling that
you just make sure that all other clients time out even more reliably.
i'm afraid the only viable solution is to speed the api up. fortunately,
tomh has plans for this.