[Openstreetmap-dev] editing applet very unresponsive

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Sat Aug 27 10:04:49 BST 2005

Robert Merkel wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm very interested in this project and specifically the possibility of
> using the data to support GPS in-car navigation software - when sufficient
> data has been collected!
>
> However, the Openstreetmap editing applet runs like cold molasses for me.  I'm using
> Firefox 1.0.3 on Debian unstable/i386 (well, actually, I'm running it on
> an Athlon 64 but the Firefox version is the 32-bit version running chrooted) with
> the Sun Java runtime environment, version 1.5.0_03-b07.  When I click "edit this map"
> it takes forever to bring up the map data, which I suppose might be partly
> download time, but when you add points they don't appear until what seems like an
> eternity after you clicked the mouse, and joining points together is also very, very
> unresponsive.
>
> Using the scroll buttons above the editing area seems to grind the system to a halt,
> either it's seemingly hanging itself  or it's taking many seconds to minutes to
> update the screen.
>
> Are these known issues or are they specific to my setup?

These are all known issues :)

We have a rewrite which is finished, but has one remaining show-stopping
bug.  It WILL be deployed today. (What, a month late? sorry everyone!)

Also, part of the unresponsiveness is down to the overhead of the
XML-RPC API, which we hope to alleviate with a new REST API shortly.
The new applet still uses XML-RPC for the time being, but interactive
requests (add/delete etc) are threaded for increased performance.

The new applet is written in Processing, which is why it hasn't been
deployed yet, because the development doesn't sit comfortably within the
SVN repository.  That was my mistake, but I have it compiling on the
command line now so it's all good...

Best,

Tom.