[Openstreetmap-dev] Overview of the workings of the 'slippy map'

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Sun Jan 8 15:20:11 GMT 2006

Hello everyone,

Is anyone in a position to give me an overview of the workings of the
'slippy map'? I would like, on the dev server, to try and combine my
Freemap rendering code with the slippy map. I realise of course I could sit
down and look at the code myself, but time is tight for me ATM and if
anyone is well-versed in the code it would probably speed up things....

In particular, it seems to require a WMS/WFS XML feed. The Freemap code
does not provide this - you just tell Freemap your bounding box and it
returns the map as a PNG image. In more detail, Freemap contacts OSM and
renders the XML returned using the GD library.

Could I easily make use of the slippy map code with my existing Freemap
architecture?

Thanks,

Nick