[OSM-dev] rendering: mad ideas

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Fri Mar 24 11:16:32 GMT 2006

On 3/24/06, Immanuel Scholz <immanuel.scholz at gmx.de> wrote:

> But before we do such an distributed rendering, it should be clear that
> CPU rendering time is really an issue and that network bandwidth usage is
> not an issue.

Absolutely.  Considering the applet can render map tiles at
interactive rates, even for dense areas with lots of text, I'm yet to
be persuaded that distributed rendering is necessary.  It wouldn't
really remove the database overhead (well OK, technically it might be
possible to cut it in half).

Selectively rendering only the tiles which have changed should be top
priority if we wish to scale.  I thought Mikel was nearly there with
this, is there a sticking point that anyone can help with?

Tom.