[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] OSM maps on Garmin GPS

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Tue Nov 14 13:56:42 GMT 2006

Hello Mikel,

>I can see some tie ins with the new tiling infrastructure.
>For mapnik, queries are run against a PostGIS database (populated from
planet.osm)
>which is part of the reason why it's so fast. Rather than outputting a
PNG,
>this library could be plugged into mapnik, to output Garmin img. Mapnik
is C++ as well.

This could be possible, if/when the library is released for Linux and if
the mapnik licence is compatible (i.e. open source but not GPL)

As an aside, what's the plan on taking the new rendering system forward?
Is it going to go into SVN? Is it due to be documented on the wiki? This
is something I'd like to hack on if I get the time.

>Ah only for Windows? You are suggesting a desktop program. Could be good,
>though outside my domain knowledge.
>The ultimate I see is a little button next to the slippy map, "Get this
map on a Garmin",
>and pushing that button seamlessly loads to your device.

That would be good, and indeed perfectly feasible if the library was made
available for Linux.

Nick