[OSM-dev] Markers for OSM slippy maps

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Sat Nov 18 13:21:23 GMT 2006

On Sat, Nov 18, 2006 at 10:15:30AM +0000, Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> The code is rather messy at the moment - since there is limited documentation
> on the OpenLayers API, I've just tried to do the best I can with it. However
> if this fits in with the plans of where OSM is going, I can try to wrap up
> the code so it's easier for developers to use. This may mean working with the
> openlayers people.

Complaints about where the documentation is lacking are useful. I wrote
the entire set of documentation[1] myself, but it's not the most useful
thing in the world: any time you try to do something, and find yourself
not understanding how to do it, I would love to see feedback to the
OpenLayers users list, or a bug filed, either of which will get my
attention.

If you've made changes to OpenLayers to make things easier to use, we'd
love to participate in the development you're doing. One of the easiest
ways to improve visibility into improvements you're making with the
OpenLayers code base is to do your development in a sandbox in the
OpenLayers subversion repository: Information on doing so is available
in the FAQ[2].

The tone of your email makes it seem as if the OpenLayers development
process has been offputting to you in the past. I'm sorry if that has
been the case. We've been putting a lot of effort into making it as easy
as possible for OpenLayers development to be as open as possible: adding
external developers with full SVN credentials, clarifying the processes
that OpenLayers uses, and so on. If I have personally put you off from
OpenLayers development, I'd like the humbly apologize and ask you to
take a look at the project again, since I think we've improved leaps and
bounds in terms of being open to external development within the past
couple weeks.

I look forward to any feedback that you have to offer, and to seeing
some of the results of the code you're writing.

[1] http://openlayers.org/doc/reference.html
[2] http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/FrequentlyAskedQuestions#SVN

Regards,
--