[OSM-dev] Select and move - mode

Jon Burgess jburgess at uklinux.net
Sat Sep 9 14:04:20 BST 2006

On Sat, 2006-09-09 at 14:34 +0200, Thomas Walraet wrote:
> For refining existing road, I was used to :
> 1) select the "add node to segment" tool
> 2) add nodes
> 3) select the "move" tool
> 4) place the newly added nodes to their position
>
> Now I have to do more clic to unselect things prior to move nodes.

Right now I see.

> Well... What is needed is a patch for #264 trac ticket ;)
> http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/264

Yes that would help.

I also see a similar problem when creating new ways. What I think is
needed is a button or keystroke to clear the selection. As far as I know
this doesn't exist right now unless i've missed a trick?

Right now the only technique i've found is to switch to the select mode
and highlight an unused area to clear the selection before switching
back to way mode again to enter the next one, which is a pain.

A different fix for your move problem would be to clear the selection
when entering the move mode. This would fix your particular case, but
also interferes with the use case where someone selects several objects
and then enters the move mode to move them all as-one. I don't see this
as being a particularly common thing to do, but maybe someone else will
disagree?

	Jon