[OSM-dev] Is there interest in a Win32 installer for JOSM?

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at web.de
Mon Apr 2 18:09:27 BST 2007

Robert (Jamie) Munro wrote:
> Chris Fleming wrote:
>
>> Agreed, although it may just (or as well as) be worth seeing if it can
>> java web start to work?
>>
>> That way users can automatically pick up new versions, although the
>> advantage a W32 installer would have is that the plugins could be
>> included at install time.
>>
> I vote for looking at Java Web Start, as that is an installer for all
> platforms, and it does automatic update checking. It would be good to
> figure out a way for plugins to be automatically updated over the web as
> well. Weather this can be handled by Web Start, or weather we need
> something separate, I don't know.

Well, as I've noted before, I'm familiar with NSIS installers, but would
start from zero with JAVA Web Start (which I very certainly won't do).

I've personally had some trouble with Web Start in the past (of course
it might be caused be the application I tried to install and not by WS
at all), so I don't really like Web start at all. While an automatic
update function and a cross platform mechanism would be nice, not having
the plugins with it would be a clear "no go" in my eyes. In the end,
installing the plugins is the real hard work if you do it for several ones.

In the meantime I have a working NSIS prototype (needs some more
polishing though), I'll post it to the list when I think it's ready for
a first review - probably in the next days.

Regards, ULFL