[OSM-dev] Some help with proj.4

Stefan de Konink skinkie at xs4all.nl
Sat Apr 7 22:54:30 BST 2007

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007, Andreas Volz wrote:

> Am Sat, 07 Apr 2007 11:02:37 +0200 schrieb Stefan de Konink:
>
> > Andreas Volz wrote:
> > > I'm reading the OSM data from a postgis DB in my C++ application. I
> > > like to render the map with OpenGL. So I started with the city
> > > names to get something displayed. My app reads some cities and
> > > coordinated from postgis:
> >
> > What is your target to make? I started to work on an OpenGL program
> > too. If you want we can team up. My target is to make an 2D version
> > using Cairo and a 3D version using OpenGL.
>
> My target is an embedded system I like to use in a car. For now I use
> OpenGL as drawing engine while development because I know it well. But
> perhaps I'll later change the graphic subsystem because there's
> probably no 3D chip on my hardware.

I'm in exactly the same situation. Target is a free car routing thingie.
Why I mentioned cairo is simple, there are virtually no embedded 3D
systems.

> You could help me to get started with my application. Perhaps we've the
> same target and could work together in future.

I guess we are. So basically I guess we should start rendering some
elementairy shapes. Don't forget, if we get it to work in Cairo, we have
an OpenGL backend. Now the downside to that is; You cannot easy change a
map from flat to birdview. And that kind of stuff need to be done
manually.

Stefan