[OSM-dev] It's broken, can somebody fix it?

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Wed Apr 11 13:28:35 BST 2007

Nick Hill wrote:

> There is a problem with the data hard drive on DB so have
> reverted to this mornings backup so we may have lost data from
> between 5am and when the system became unresponsive.

While editing north-western Poland yesterday (April 10) afternoon,
something strange happened. It might be related to the DB
rollback.  I'm not sure when I started my editing.  After having
finished a few hours of editing in JOSM and uploading my last
changes, I also saved the JOSM data layer to file (15:42 GMT).

Then when I started to generate tiles (I run tiles at home in xy
mode, based on coordinates in the .osm file saved from JOSM), I
discovered that parts of my roads were missing. This area is just
east of the city Stettin/Szczecin in Poland,
http://www.openstreetmap.org/index.html?lat=53.45&lon=14.788&zoom=11

When I opened this area in JOSM (new download, not my old data),
it looks like a mess. Not only were some of my roads missing.
But parts of footpaths and a cemetary from England had been added!

I didn't change anything in this mess.  I believe it is still
there, and in this morning's planet.osm.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)