[OSM-dev] more admins

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Mon Apr 16 15:09:46 BST 2007

Nick Hill wants to make his phone number more visible. If you have a
service problem with openstreetmap please call ++44 7977544679. Put this
on the wiki if you want.

I want to do a few things to distribute server admin load.

* Add two people to an admin group that car restart servers, add svn
accounts and so on
* Set up an admin list where these people can be contacted and discuss
admin issues
* Set up an announce list where a few people can put out pure service
and other announcments

Nick makes the point that setting up accounts to restart services
doesn't actually solve the long term problems. For example, restarting
the wiki every day doesn't solve the need to turn on caching, change
database type etc like he did. It's also difficult in that most people
don't know and don't want to know/work with the server code and many
problems are due to the interactions with the code, the recent mysql
stalls withstanding. It's a bit chicken and egg though.

If you have any suggestions or thoughts along these lines we'd be glad
to hear them. We have another server on the way also.

have fun,