[OSM-dev] T at H client cuttoff dates.

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Apr 21 14:31:19 BST 2007

Hi,

 > I've discussed with OJW to implement a S.O.P of
> only allowing the latest client to take requests and upload data.
> A cutoff period of one week, where the previous client and the new
> client both can take requests and upload, should give people time to
> update their T at H clients.

Go ahead if you think that it is required but I fear that you're adding
unnecessary administrative overhead.

Currently, anyone just increases the version number if he/she sees fit.
For example, as far as I know, the change from Essen to Frederikssund
did not bring any change in the tile look - but nobody complained and it
really isn't a big deal. If you implement said procedure, there will be
a certain barrier to issuing new versions - you'll always have to ask
yourself "is this little change that I am committing, which only affects
waterway=drain, really a sufficient reason to force everybody to update
within one week...? Or should I sneak it in under the current version name?"

By the way, are uploads with unknown version names accepted? Or do you,
in order to create a new version name, have to get hold of OJW on IRC
and ask him to establish the new name first?

Bye
Frederik