[OSM-dev] UK Dev Day

Nick Black nickblack1 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 16:17:37 BST 2007

On 4/27/07, Robert (Jamie) Munro <rjmunro at arjam.net> wrote:

> Nick Black wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > The UK dev day is nearly upon us.  We will probably get about 6 hours of
> > productive work done and we loads to do.  I think that the time can be
> > best spent by focusing on a small number of issues, with small numbers
> > of people assigned to the task.  One should be the Rails port.  To
> > finish Rails we need to:
> >
> > - Potlatch - needs integrating with the OSM server.  Richard's Ruby API
> > imprvovements need porting to Rails.
>
> I don't think Potlatch is a priority as such - if Rails launches without
> Potlatch, we are still moving forwards overall. Potlatch can be added
> later.

It can, but the applet will need an unknown amount of work to make it ready
for 0.4 - whilst this could be trivial, it seems like wasted effort to do
this and then sort out Potlatch.

IMHO we should try to launch the rails port - i.e. make it the primary
> site, then worry about adding potlatch later. Ideally, we would launch
> the rails port just before the dev day, and use the day to fix any bugs
> that are thrown up early.

This is a good idea, but relies on steve having time between now and next to
set up rails and the applet - which I don't think he has (correct me if
wrong steve)

> - Data needs importing - this needs to be tested with real data
> >

> > What else do people want to focus on?
>
> I'd be interested in porting things to PostGres/GIS, then adding
> geometry helper columns and triggers to keep them up to date.

I'd like to see how this works out.

I'd also be interested in trying to make improvements to JOSM in the
> area of use on a laptop while out and about mapping.

Very sexy - would be cool to see .

So, fix LiveGPS on
> my Mac, and try to allow JOSM to load a substantial part of planet.osm
> (or even all of it), rather than just a tiny section at a time. E.g. I
> drive from Oxford to Reading all the time. It would be nice to follow my
> position on JOSM LiveGPS, see a road in real life that is missing, and
> turn down it. I can't practically load all the roads between Oxford and
> Reading into JOSM, even though people have loaded the whole UK into
> small Garmin GPSes.
>
> Another thought is trying to automate GPS tracks to segments - i.e.
> download a track, discard any points that are near an existing segment,
> then geometry reduce the remaining points to make segments.

More than the level that osmfileter does?

Robert (Jamie) Munro

--
Nick Black