[OSM-dev] A GPS voice logger application

Jim Ley jim at jibbering.com
Fri Jan 5 23:37:42 GMT 2007

"Robert Scott" <lists at riscott.ukfsn.org> wrote in message
news:200701052307.46370.lists at riscott.ukfsn.org...
> Hi,
>
> I have mentioned before that I am meaning to build a similar device using
> perhaps a gumstix and a simple sirfstar III module, but have famously
> never
> got around to it, so I too would at some point find it useful to be able
> overlay audio recordings on JOSM.
>
> On Friday 05 January 2007 22:54, Andreas Volz wrote:
>> Is OGG/Vorbis possible to use in Java?
>
> I know that fluendo have a pure java vorbis decoder.
>
>> perhaps a WAV file with releated text GPS tags or simply GPS tags
>> encoded in the file name.
>
> This was the route I was planning on taking - you only need around
> 16kHz/8bit
> for simple voice, so size shouldn't be much of an issue.

I had a windows media based solution - included video too, using Netstumbler
to control the encoder and its own GPS handling to insert Windows Media
Script stream - this provided time coded events which you could later pull
out of the stream.  It was all a quick hack but worked pretty well, hooking
it into an editor was needed though as the OP suggested.

I never progressed with it either :(

Next time I'm thinking about using the SRT subtitle format and providing the
GPS positions as subtitles...

Cheers,

Jim.