[OSM-dev] Tiles with data, but without ways

Thomas Walraet thomas at walraet.com
Mon Jan 22 17:31:10 GMT 2007

Dirk-Lüder Kreie a écrit :

>> If you want to add ways to such cities, you could try my way-creation
>> plugin for JOSM. It takes all selected segments that aren't part of a
>> way and create as many ways as needed (a way by group of connected
>> segments in the same direction without intersection)
>> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2006-December/009233.html
>
> While very useful people can do much harm so I'd rather it would add a
> tag automatically to the effect that the way was auto-created by some
> plugin.

I will try to add that rapidly.

> Furthermore it should have a warning not to auto-convert other peoples'
> data without knowing exactly what the segments should represent.

Well... That apply to every OSM editors. I have some road in Paris that
have been "defaced" by people experimenting things with the applet...

But it's true that JOSM allow users to do such mistake on a large scale.
On the other hand, the need to use JOSM, download an external plugin and
install it made that only experimented users used it "a priori".

> Ask the Hamburg guys what happened there, or likewise in Bremen, where a
> whole lot of segments was auto-converted into ways with
> highway=unclassified even when they represented something entirely
> different, like train lines for example.

I don't know if that was made with tways, but it may be on purpose. If
there's no ways, nothing appears on most map. Tagging everything as
unclassified make thinks appear on the map, and easy to correct to
reflect reality (train line...)

Nothing is destroyed or modified by the plugin : it only add new ways
where there is none.

If we want Potlach to be used, we will anyway be forced to auto-create
ways for all orphan segments. If we don't do it, they will not show up
on the editor and it could result in duplicated data.