[OSM-dev] Drawing ways with beziercurves rather than linesegments

Dave osm at randomjunk.co.uk
Thu Jan 25 18:25:41 GMT 2007

> So basically your argument is that putting your hands over your eyes and
> yelling "blah blah blah blah" at the top of your voice is going to make
> the evil monsters go away?

Yup, you got it in one. :-)

Common tactic when it comes to software patents.
It's actually pretty much impossible to do anything else. According to
nosoftwarepatents.com Europe has 30,000 software patents currently. So
if we split them all between us we should be done checking them by next
year, at which point we can start on the new ones. Oh, but we'll need an
extra year at least for the law classes so we actually stand a chance of
understanding the language properly. You can try and run a search for a
particular area, but this is pretty much a lost cause because there's no
search mechanism to do this, no real categorisation or good choices of
key words, and anyway, just what would you usefully limit the search to?
There is a significant difference between software, and other fields
where patents typically apply.

Actually the only way to make the monsters go away is to change the law
to make it vaguely rational. But that's another discussion entirely.

> Spending 1000 man hours coding around a potential problem would be well
> worth it, if it protects 100,000 man hours of mapping!

If it's a code problem then the data is quite safe... you just have to
remove the particular i/o/manipulation that infringes. If it's /how/
we're storing data, then you just run a conversion to store it in some
other way.
If it's a problem with the fact that we're storing data at all then
there really isn't a lot we can do about that except go mental with the
bad publicity for evil empire whoever. And the fact we were storing it
at all kind of implies it was essential to the project.