[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] Cycle Route Tags / Pushing forward the Cycle Layer

spaetz osm at sspaeth.de
Fri Jul 20 16:00:34 BST 2007

On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 02:10:06PM +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Is anyone able to help me obtain a dev account for the purpose of
> > pushing forward the cycle layer?
>
> Spaetz will probably by now be able to do it:  osm at sspaeth.de

Sure, I could give you an account. But given that dev. has become the de-facto t at h production machine and it is creaking as it is, I would rather not have too many more people experiment on dev, but would rather like to get us a new, real development server. What would you try to do on it? Sorry, I don't want to sound dis-encouraging, I am just afraid that dev will finally break if it get's any more to do in its current state.

> > Is anyone else currently working on / interested in helping to push
> > forward the cycle layer?

> Keep in mind that as things currently stand, tiles at home is unable to
> cope with even the normal uploads, so it will take a long time for a
> cycle layer to appear even if you put it into the t at h renderer today.
> This is not to say you shouldn't do it - just be patient and be
> prepared to have some people complain that their changes are not
> rendered fast enough because of "that stupid bike layer" ;-)

I agree, that we should pursue the cycle layer more actively, I would also be interested in getting it go forward. But for this to work out, some structural changes would need to be done to get dev to be able to cope with the load.

Again, sorry if this does not sound helpful at all. I just got access to dev a couple of hours ago and am still trying to find my way around.

spaetz