[OSM-dev] Slippy Map

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Fri Jun 15 10:25:17 BST 2007

With a bit of help from 80n I've managed to get the slippy map working
with an unmolested copy of OpenLayers 2.4 so I plan to upgrade to that
shortly - it seems to fix some of the reported problems at least.

I believe I've also found the IE problem - the problem is that we are
with older versions of IE by changing IMG elements for PNG files
into SPAN elements with run an ActiveX filter to do the transparency.

The problem of course is that OpenLayers is looking for the IMG elements
to attach the downloaded tiles to, but they have vanished...

So the question is, what are we loading pngfix.js for? Do we have any
pages on the site that are relying on it to handle transparency?

If I take pngfix.js out then IE6 seems to work fine and IE7 works
better though not perfectly - the initial map displays but it goes
blank when I zoom in.

On a related topic, we are loading main.js and tile.js on every
page. As far as I can see none of the code in these is actually
being used - they seem to be related to some older tile loading
scheme as best I can tell. I propose to remove these unless somebody
can explain why they're needed...

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)