[OSM-dev] Translation of the Main Page?

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Sun Mar 25 22:27:21 BST 2007

On Sun, Mar 25, 2007 at 07:05:47PM +0200, Hansen wrote:
> I think it would be very nice, if the main page is translated into several languages. This would be very helpful for Newbies from other countries like Germany or France. They will contribute a lot of new data and that would be great for the whole project! I read something about translating in the wiki and the User Rickm has a turtorial to create these translated main pages. You can find it here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/User:Rickm/enabling_easy_links_pages_in_other_languages
> So, it should be possible to create these multi-language wiki. But who can do this? Who has the rights to change the wiki engine?

I am a bit confused by MediaWiki here. There are already pages starting
with "De:" in German. But those seem to be normal pages, they are not in
a special namespace, they just happen to begin with "De:".

On the other hand there is an "OpenStreetMap" namespace, so some pages have
the prefix "OpenStreetMap:". There are also some pages in the "Help"
namespace.

(To see the available namespaces, you can go to
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Special:Allpages )

So if we had those namespaces for the languages, how would they interact
with the other namespaces? Obviously we can't have a namespace for all
combinations of languages and other namespaces ("De:OpenStreetMap:Help"
anyone?)

Jochen