[OSM-dev] UK Developers' Workshop Tomorrow

Robert (Jamie) Munro rjmunro at arjam.net
Fri May 4 11:49:01 BST 2007

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany) wrote:
>
>> I'll arrive in London on Friday (tonight ;-) at 8:05pm at the
>> Airport. Then
>> I'll take a Rental-Car to Oxford. Then I plan to get a Hotel/Bed-'n-
>> Breakfast
>> somewhere in Oxford. Let's see if my old Garmin makes good
>> suggestions or can anyone recommend something cheap there?

Oxford is not car friendly. Parking at the dev day will not be possible
- - you'll be best using the park and ride system. Rather than hire a car,
you may be better off taking the bus from Heathrow which runs every half
hour.

> There's a youth hostel at the station:
>      http://www.yha.org.uk/find-accommodation/heart-of-england/
> hostels/Oxford/index.aspx
> (probably the quieter of the two)
>
> and another one nearby:
>      http://www.hostels.co.uk/index.php
>
> I've never tried the Westgate Hotel, but it's also fairly central
> (again, near the station):
>      http://www.infotel.co.uk/15880.htm

If you do come by car, I'd recommend looking at the hotels on the Ring
Road, near the junction of the A34 and A40 which have parking. From
where you can catch the Park and Ride bus to the center of town for the
meet up. There is a Holiday Inn, a Travel Lodge, and "The Oxford Hotel"
from the paramount group. None are cheap, though (search google for
hotels near ox2

Otherwise, the park and ride that you reach first when approaching from
London has free parking for 72 hours. The others all charge for parking
as well as riding.

>> The other thing:
>> 	What time do we start Saturday morning?
>
> I'm going to be there from 9ish (assuming the train from Charlbury is
> on time).

I hope to be there around 9am as well, but I don't anticipate we'll
really get going until around 10.

See you there.

Robert (Jamie) Munro