[OSM-dev] rails schema + mysql on dev v slow

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Wed May 16 16:46:14 BST 2007

On 5/16/07, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:
> > because then what's the difference between deleted and none returned?
> > /api/0.4/segment/42 needs to tell you 410 GONE or 404 NOT FOUND somehow.
>
> Ok, humour me some more, I'm being thick. From the point of view of a
> typical client - say, JOSM - does it matter whether a segment has been
> deleted or isn't found? It's still no longer there and you can't do
> anything with it.

Sure, while editing it's useful to be able to tell the difference
between "you used a node which has since been deleted" (and thus could
be undeleted) and "you're using something that never existed (and thus
reveals a bug).

I don't think performance-wise it would make a difference on a good
database, but I'm unsure about mysql.

Have a nice day,