[OSM-dev] Disappearing Roads

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Mon May 21 20:49:59 BST 2007

On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 20:24 +0100, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Andy Robinson wrote:
>
> > Cory,
> >
> > Do you have a view bbox or lat & lon limits from JOSM for the area
> > concerned?
>
> Cory mentioned these ways (in private e-mail):
>
> > 4630406
> > 4630400
> > 4630403
> > 4547188
>
> If I manually fetch a relevant bbox from the API:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.4/map?
> bbox=-87.630,41.886,-87.627,41.889
>
> then save as a .osm file, and load into JOSM, it seems quite happy
> and I can see the ways. Similarly, if I look at the .osm file they
> seem to be in there.
>
> But if I punch this bounding box into JOSM, or even copy and paste
> the URL, then it doesn't work. Either I get a 500, or a complaint
> about "Error when parsing: unknown version: null".
>
> cheers
> Richard

Using the following URL in the download box works OK for me

http://www.openstreetmap.org/index.html?lat=41.8875&lon=-87.6285&zoom=12

I'm guessing JOSM only likes URL formatted like this from the slippy map
and not the API map URLs

In the downloaded JOSM data I see the IDs with the following names:

4630406 - Clark Street
4630400 - Dearborn Street
4630403 - State Street
4547188 - Wacker drive

If you try pasting the URL you gave into the download box, hit OK and
then examine stdfout after the error you should see that it downloads an
empty bounding box:

download: http://api.openstreetmap.org/api/0.4/map?bbox=0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0
got return: 200
org.xml.sax.SAXException: Unknown version: null
        at org.openstreetmap.josm.io.OsmReader$Parser.startElement(Unknown Source)
        at uk.co.wilson.xml.MinML2.startElement(MinML2.java:713)
        at uk.co.wilson.xml.MinML2.parse(MinML2.java:303)
        at org.openstreetmap.josm.io.OsmReader.parseDataSet(Unknown Source)
        at org.openstreetmap.josm.io.BoundingBoxDownloader.parseOsm(Unknown Source)
        at org.openstreetmap.josm.actions.downloadtasks.DownloadOsmTask$Task.realRun(Unknown Source)
        at org.openstreetmap.josm.gui.PleaseWaitRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:650)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:675)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

Jon