[OSM-dev] GPL stupidity

Dave Hansen dave at sr71.net
Thu Nov 8 20:43:50 GMT 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 19:39 +0100, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> The GPL is in numerous places on our SVN, even in the root directory,
> but you do not "receive it" with a program that you download unless
> you explicitly ask for it.

There are a million ways to get GPL'd code without getting the GPL at
the same time.  Think of all of the SVN/CVS/git web viewers out there or
even an ISO with a GPL'd script in it (you could transfer just a
_portion_ if the ISO).

Yes, that text is a little bit ancient, but it does sure beat a URL or
some reference to a specific file in SVN (which could easily change).

There may also be legal reasons to where people may be referred to
obtain the license.  I would imagine this was very carefully thought
out.

In any case, the intent of that phrase is to ensure that everyone
obtaining GPL's code has access to the license.  If people are
downloading from SVN, they obviously have access to the license at
_least_ in SVN.

-- Dave