[OSM-dev] Josm-patches and osm-lib was:OSM Date Formats

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Oct 2 09:47:14 BST 2007

Hi,

> I offer to refactor some of the josm-code to have
> getters+setters (instead of public properties), parameter-checking,
> error-messages and exception-handling after I'm back from vacation
> next week.

No, please don't do that. Having public properties and very little
exception stuff is a deliberate design choice that Imi made and it
worked well for us. I know that it is not exactly popular in Java
circles but Imi had good reasons for it, and it is not ok to just
throw all this overboard in order to make Eclipse happy. (And it
doesn't paint JOSM code red with the default settings I am using..?)

At least, if you want to streamline JOSM in the manner you have
described, discuss this with Imi and try to understand why he did it
the way he did it.

Bye
Frederik