[OSM-dev] Osmosis on etch x86?

Brett Henderson brett at bretth.com
Fri Oct 19 03:12:28 BST 2007

Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> So, I decided I'd give osmosis a go tonight. After not understanding
> that I can't just download from svn ... :) I got it from the .zip, an
> extracted it.

Downloading the zip as you've done is the easiest way to go.

You can download from svn if you're prepared to compile it, that will
require a working jdk and the ant tool to be installed.
> Unfortunately, it seems that it requires sun-java6 on Debian etch... and
> sun-java6 has a backport, but it's only built for i386.

Yes, definitely requires java6.  It's been an issue for several people
now, mainly those running Debian.

Spaetz upgraded dev which runs Debian to use java6, not sure how he did it.
> Am I crazy to think that this won't work without me doing some work on
> i386? Is there something magical that I'm missing that makes this all
> work?

Which architecture are you using?
> (Caveat: I've totally missed most osmosis conversation, and I'm *very
> much* not a Java guy.)
>
> For the record, the error message is:
>
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ClassFormatError:
> com.bretth.osmosis.core.Osmosis (unrecognized class file version)

I don't think you've missed anything important.  The only way of fixing
this is to upgrade to java6 as you've already identified.

The use of java6 is a nuisance but I've avoided changing osmosis to work
on java5 because the problem will go away soon with open source java
becoming available.  Not sure when open source java6 (known as "iced
tea") will be available on Debian but Fedora Core 8 (due out 8th
November) will incorporate it.

Another option is to download jdk 1.6 direct from sun and run it from
your home directory.