[OSM-dev] Osmosis on etch x86?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Fri Oct 19 03:30:16 BST 2007

On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 12:12:28PM +1000, Brett Henderson wrote:
> Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> > So, I decided I'd give osmosis a go tonight. After not understanding
> > that I can't just download from svn ... :) I got it from the .zip, an
> > extracted it.
> >
> Downloading the zip as you've done is the easiest way to go.
>
> You can download from svn if you're prepared to compile it, that will
> require a working jdk and the ant tool to be installed.

Yeah, I got that far, then realized that a tarball would solve all my
problems anyway :)

> > Unfortunately, it seems that it requires sun-java6 on Debian etch... and
> > sun-java6 has a backport, but it's only built for i386.
> >
> Yes, definitely requires java6.  It's been an issue for several people
> now, mainly those running Debian.
>
> Spaetz upgraded dev which runs Debian to use java6, not sure how he did it.

I think dev might be newer than 'stable', so that might be part of it.

> > Am I crazy to think that this won't work without me doing some work on
> > i386? Is there something magical that I'm missing that makes this all
> > work?
> >
> Which architecture are you using?

x86_64/AMD64.

> > (Caveat: I've totally missed most osmosis conversation, and I'm *very
> > much* not a Java guy.)
> >
> > For the record, the error message is:
> >
> > Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ClassFormatError:
> > com.bretth.osmosis.core.Osmosis (unrecognized class file version)
> >
> I don't think you've missed anything important.  The only way of fixing
> this is to upgrade to java6 as you've already identified.

Great. Good to know I'm not crazy :)

> The use of java6 is a nuisance but I've avoided changing osmosis to work
> on java5 because the problem will go away soon with open source java
> becoming available.  Not sure when open source java6 (known as "iced
> tea") will be available on Debian but Fedora Core 8 (due out 8th
> November) will incorporate it.

Debian is slow releasing :) So it probably won't be around for quite a
while.

> Another option is to download jdk 1.6 direct from sun and run it from
> your home directory.

Ah! Yes. That does it :) thanks! Now running osmosis on planet +
2007-10-16 to create something newer. Thanks for that! I had forgotten
that's what I'd done in the past. I'll report back in the morning after
I update the planet to the latest osmosis dump and refresh the
labs.mc.com/osm/ tiles.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt