[OSM-dev] josm bugs and enhancement requests

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Oct 19 09:51:06 BST 2007

Hi,

> why do you do it that way?
> Please provide a reason for this.
> [...]
> If you can come up with any reason, please add
> it to http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Key:railway

It is not a railway specific thing. We generally don't tag different
things onto the same objects. If a subway entrance and a post box
happen to be in the same spot, we still use two nodes (correct me if
I'm wrong here, I assume this is so but I might be mistaken). If a
country border ends exactly where the river is, we will usually have
two ways using the same nodes, one for the river, one for the border
- both using the same nodes.

I think the main reason for this is easy separatability. If I want to
draw the Karlsruhe tram network on its own, then I can just extract
all railway=tram ways in the area and throw them into Osmarender. If
people would tag their ways as railway=tram *and* highway=something
at the same time, then It would be much more difficult to get a
"clean" tram dataset.

I agree that editing ways using the same nodes in JOSM is a bit of a
pain (middle mouse button, ctrl key) and that this needs to be
improved. But I am quite sure that ways using the same nodes make
sense in a lot of cases.

Bye
Frederik