[OSM-dev] GPX for the future

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 16:31:07 BST 2007

On 9/5/07, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:
> Andy Allan wrote:
>
> > An alternative* would be to store the gps points as "tiles" at a lower
> > resolution (e.g. 10cm x 10cm boxes) and on each import increase a
> > density counter for that tile. The resolution is still good enough for
> > OSM, and the table would be a known, fixed size (rows = number of
> > tiles in the planet, or fewer if you don't add lots of empty records).
> > Josm could draw the tiles as greyscale where a count of one is dark
> > and 100 is much brighter, and roads would be distinguishable and
> > traceable.
>
> Ok, I think we're talking about two different ways of viewing GPS
> points here, which doesn't help.

Yes, we are (and of course you're right about JOSM). I only ever
consider the traces that I made myself to be worth joining together to
show linearity - the main pool of GPS points I consider to be a
density distribution since I've no idea of their age, accuracy and so
on.

But that might just be because I'm in London, and there's absolutely
masses of GPS trackpoints for any through road.

Cheers,
Andy