[OSM-dev] API 0.5 is on the way

Robert Hart bathterror at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 23:38:50 BST 2007

> We have combined those two into a shiny new "OSM 0.5" which we hope to
> deploy in early October, provided that we don't encounter major obstacles
> and provided of course we have the support of the community and those
> who manage our essential servers (and take the blame if something
> breaks...).

> The changeover from 0.4 to 0.5 will cause a server downtime of probably
> about one day. Due to the structural nature of the changes, it is un-
> likely that you will have software that can handle 0.4 and 0.5 at the
> same time; you will have to use one version up to the changeover day,
> and another version after that.

A single day sounds somewhat optimistic. The changeover to 0.4 to 0.3
was forecast to take a weekend but in reality took much longer before
everything was running smoothly.
Be careful not to over promise and under deliver. Much better to say
it'll be a week, and then be done in 3 days!!!

is your branch of josm for tracking the mainline, or should developers
start targeting 0.5 only/as well now?

Robert Hart

More information about the dev mailing list