[OSM-dev] GSoC applications are in! MENTORS wanted

Tue Apr 8 09:43:08 BST 2008

Hi all,
Google summer of code application deadline has passed. We have received
27 applications. I have stripped out sensitive information such as
e-mail addresses and other contact information (and also a full CV) and
put the on this wiki page:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/GSoC_Applications_2008

I did this for 2 reasons:

2) We need mentors for the students, and depending on how many slots
Google will assign us, that could be a few. So, if you find an
application that sounds great to you and you would love to mentor it,
then step forward and tell me (AND sign up also). I think chances of
wanted applications should be better, as a motivated mentor is a good
thing to have!

So far these 5 people have signed up as mentors:
Artem Dudarev, Avinash Dubey
David Christopher Anderson
Frederik Ramm, MALLA RAVINDRA ADITYA

I only know Frederik of this list, perhaps the others could step forward
and tell me who they are and what areas they would like to mentor.

These people have volunteered in the wiki, it would be great if really
they could sign up as mentors: Mikel, RalfZ, Milovanderlinden, Texamus,
Geonick, Ramack, Fjbehr.

There is a mentors guide to the GSoC thingie which you would need to
follow:
http://groups.google.com/group/google-summer-of-code-announce/web/guide-to-the-gsoc-web-app-for-mentors-and-organization-administrators

It basically boils down to: 1) login into google somewhere. 2) visit
http://code.google.com/soc/mentor_step1.html 3) Sign up, check
OpenStreetMap 4) Browse the applications and click on "I am willing to
mentor" wherever you think you would like to mentor someone.

Thanks
Sebastian