[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql fails on current data

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Mon Apr 14 08:41:36 BST 2008

In message <2fc2c5f10804132359rdba18e7pc866d5fc0e8fd10a at mail.gmail.com>
        Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 10:30 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
>>  3. "work with what we've got" and fix the data we get out of the
>>    system to suit our needs.
>>
>>  Dave's patch is in the spirit of option 3, and frankly I think that
>>  way is the only acceptable way.
>
> You're right, I was thinking too far ahead. I won't complain if they
> enter "6;8" and they shouldn't complain when it's treated as if they
> had entered "6". I was thinking that we should point out that using
> semicolons is nice, but doesn't actually work in many cases.

Well in the case of borders mapnik probably only needs to know about
the most significant one, so the most useful solution is probably to
take the lowest number and put that in the database.

The logic being that if something is both the border of a country
and a state for example, then it would normally be drawn on the map
as a country border not a state border.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)