[OSM-dev] osmtools first release

Hendrik Siedelmann hendrik.siedelmann at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 27 16:27:18 BST 2008

2008/4/27 Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org>:
>  > Instead ways directly consist of a
>  > number of points. This should speed up for example rendering to svg or
>  > routing by a huge amount.
>
>  For routing, it is important to know whether two ways meet at a
>  junction or whether they just pass over or under each other. This
>  topology requirement is solved by our nodes. If you drop nodes ("the
>  completely redundand id<->point assignment is removed"), how do you
>  suggest a routing engine should build its routing graph then?

Nodes can still be identified by their lat/lon coordinates. As nodes
are not duplicated in the database this is possible. And routing still
needs to find which ways reference a node, so routing from one way to
another is still complicated. On the other hand checking if another
way uses the same points is fast on a spatial database (I will at some
time provide funktions provide routing)