[OSM-dev] Call to mobile developers: OSM binary file format

Oliver Eichler oliver.eichler at gmx.de
Thu Aug 7 19:47:36 BST 2008

Good idea :)

I am always tempted to do my own binary vector map format after suffering the
madness by Garmin. However the wonderfull world of raster maps keeps me from
doing it.

Anyway, I would suggest you have a deep look into the Garmin binary
sepcification. Some things are good, some are bad and some are ugly. But you
will get a feeling on what is needed to do an efficient binary format. BTW
the roadmap format isn't efficient at all.

kiozen