[OSM-dev] Call to mobile developers: OSM binary file format

Laurence Penney lorp at lorp.org
Fri Aug 8 01:21:25 BST 2008

Graham Asher, developer of CartoType (presented at SOTM 2008) <www.cartotype.com
 >, has asked me to forward this to the list.

The format used by CartoType is publicly available under an open
license. See http://www.cartotype.com/cartotype_map_data_format_type_1.html
. The format can be used as-is, or as an inspiration for a new format
specifically designed for OSM.

It already works well with OSM data and gives very good compression
(recent UK data is about 1Gb in .osm format, 37Mb in CTM1 format).

- L