[OSM-dev] Roadnav moving to OSM data only: some questions...

Marcus Wolschon Marcus at Wolschon.biz
Fri Aug 22 08:49:19 BST 2008

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 08:31:38 +0100, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:
>> The API is based on http and very simple, so there is not much to
> implement
>> for loading data.
>
> ... but mobile navigation systems should probably be using planet
> anyway and not pulling from the API as we don't have the resources
> to support lots of read-only clients pulling from the API like that.

I don't see mobile clients with their own networking abilities to
use the world-file. The world-file simply requires ressources that
are nowhere near present.
As for the API. This is read-only -access and need not be the most
current data. So if we ever run into load-issues anyone can set up
mirrors within hours/days using only a database, an apache and some php or
python -code as well as the daily diffs and maybe a monthly full reload
of the world-file.

>> There was much fruitless discussion over the best format to store these
>> but after a while we started simply mapping this insted of arguing
>> with the "Karlsruhe Schema". It is done as an experiment to gather
> experience
>> how best to map all the exceptional cases of house-numbers but has been
> widely
>> adopted.
>>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/House_numbers/Karlsruhe_Schema
>
> I'm not sure widely is the right word...

Right. Let's say "it's the only thing we have".

Marcus