[OSM-dev] surveillance cams not shown in any render

D Tucny d at tucny.com
Fri Dec 12 13:52:03 GMT 2008

2008/12/12 Eddy Petrișor <eddy.petrisor at gmail.com>

> 2008/12/11 Shaun McDonald <shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk>:

> cameras

> >> Solution 3: Use highway=speed_camera which is already used ~500 times
> >> and also will show up at least in JOSM.
> >
> > Real solution: use a custom rendering of the map data:
> > http://osm.vdska.de/
>
> Why would I prefer to use a custom rendering instead of clarifying the
> tags, usage and quirks and push for rendering support in Mapnik and
> Osmarender?

If everything that could be tagged (well, everything can be tagged due to
the flexibility of the tagging scheme) got tagged and got rendered on a map
the map would be very feature full, but, probably useless... Mapnik can
render anything you want... The Mapnik layer on OSM doesn't render
everything, it aims to provide a generic useful view of the data...
osmarender can render anything you want, but, the osmarender layer on OSM
also doesn't render everything... With the data stored in OSM and everyone's
different requirements for maps, I think it would be awesome if there was a
way that people could easily build maps with the information and features
that they want, whether that's by multiple layers of rendered data that can
be overlaid or whether it's just finding a way of providing users with a
lower cost entry to being able to extract the information from OSM and get
it rendered, all is good... Right now, custom rendering of the map data is
still somewhat above beginner level difficulty... But... Custom output based
on OSM data would seem to be the way forward, but, it's not necessarily a
service that OSM should provide, if the generation of these renderings was
done by OSM it would consume a lot of OSMs resources, both in terms of
people's time in development as well as financial resources in building the
infrastructure to support it...