[OSM-dev] Broken objects rendering (angles and shape)

Thomas Wood grand.edgemaster at gmail.com
Thu Dec 25 01:52:32 GMT 2008

2008/12/25 Rafał Miłecki <zajec5 at gmail.com>:
> 2008/12/25 Jozef Vince (freemap.sk) <jozef.vince at freemap.sk>:
>> Check your projection settings in JOSM - online maps are using Mercator, and your JOSM probably the default one - EPSG:4326 (lat lon projection i think)
>
> You're right. After switching to Mercator I see objects just like it's
> rendered on online map.
>
> The question is now which one projection is correct? I think gps
> tracks displayed using Mercator are much more like I expect them to be
> (now tracked parking has roads connected with right angle which is
> what I observed in real). If so, why JOSM doesn't use Mercator by
> default?

Both projections are 'correct' in their own ways. Mercator preserves
shape and angles much better than EPSG:4326 (plain lat/lon) does.
JOSM used lat/lon by default for use with some WMS servers that only
produced images in this projection. I'm not sure what the status of
this is with the new wmsplugin.

Would it be worthwhile reconsidering the default?

--
Regards,
Thomas Wood