[OSM-dev] ROMA servers down - osmosis large way problem

Jeremy Adams milenko at king-nerd.com
Sun Dec 28 19:31:40 GMT 2008

It's not the ROMA script that's failing - osmosis is failing while it's trying to update the database using changesets from the main API.

Whatever db schema the main API uses must allow for this, while the one for osmosis that was used to setup at least my server does not.

-Jeremy

Jeremy Adams wrote:
> There's an issue with the minute change file 200812290912-200812290913.osc.gz.
> It contains a way which has over 40k nodes.  It's an administrative boundary
> which appears to enclose all of Quebec.  It's way id is 29309772.  When osmosis
> attempts to process this file it fails.  The relevant parts of the error appear
> to be "Unable to insert new way node" and a pgsql error "ERROR: smallint out of
> range."
>
> I'm sure I can find the way and split it into smaller chunks, but what's the
> process for getting the ROMA servers running again?  Can we just remove the
> reference to the way in the changeset and continue updating?  The way should be
> added back in once it's split and reuploaded, correct?

So what is the fundamental problem that your tools break on 40k of
nodes? Bbox them on the request, and return a partial result that will
work just as good for rendering.

Stefan