[OSM-dev] ROMA servers down - osmosis large way problem

Matt Amos zerebubuth at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 14:25:51 GMT 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 1:05 PM, Stefan de Konink <stefan at konink.de> wrote:
> Frederik Ramm wrote:
>> Stefan de Konink wrote:
>>> Even in 0.5 relations can be ordered using the type='...'.
>>
>> You're getting (more) ridiculous.
>>
>> What are you trying to prove here? That you're right and the rest is
>> wrong? That you are a masterful programmer and the others just dumb
>> fiddlers?
>
> Matt claimed it was impossible to do order in relations within API 0.5. That
> argument is wrong. That is the only thing I'm proving here. And I did make
> an error because I should talked about role instead of type.

you're right - i should have said ways can't be transparently modelled
using relations in the 0.5 database structure.

you could use role for ordering, but the ordering would have to be
imposed client-side. the client also has to deal with whatever meaning
is assigned to other relation members of the way or members with
non-numeric roles. its much easier for the client with ways...

relations are an incredibly powerful structure, which can be used to
model just about anything. whether they *should* be used is a
different, mostly non-technical, discussion. for example, it is
possible to build a turing complete computer with a single, incredibly
powerful instruction (subleq / subneg) but that doesn't mean i want to
program it :-)

cheers,

matt