[OSM-dev] TomTom map format

Florian Lohoff flo at rfc822.org
Wed Dec 31 08:44:05 GMT 2008

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 12:11:42AM +0100, Stefan de Konink wrote:
> Florian Lohoff wrote:
> >My rough guess is that they have no interest - They make money by
> >selling the maps and it would be unwise to help the "others" ..
>
> There is another variable to this. They want to have a mapping
> community... and it is not strange they have asked some people from OSM
> to give talks about the issues that they have.
>
> So I presume there are opportunities for them too, now they have
> acquired Teleatlas that chance could be slim... but certainly not 0.
>
> >For compatibility it should IMHO be legal to reverse engineer at least in
> >Germany.
>
> Here too.
>
> But what is your motivation about this? Just to enlarge userbase (OSM)?

Dont we all wish OSM "run-everywhere" maps?

TomTom has done a great job in providing navigational software with
an exceptionally good usability. The Hardware is robust and well thought
about. Its no wonder they are the most sold device in Germany.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                  flo at rfc822.org             +49-171-2280134
	Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little