[OSM-dev] TomTom map format

Stefan de Konink stefan at konink.de
Wed Dec 31 10:43:48 GMT 2008

Florian Lohoff wrote:
>> But what is your motivation about this? Just to enlarge userbase (OSM)?
>
> Dont we all wish OSM "run-everywhere" maps?

My main motivation is still not to increase hardware sales on heavily
drm'ed packages just because users think it is great hardware. In that
case lets design great hardware ourselves that is more cheap and give
OSM free with it.

> TomTom has done a great job in providing navigational software with
> an exceptionally good usability. The Hardware is robust and well thought
> about. Its no wonder they are the most sold device in Germany.

...and they want to keep their map format extremely closed. Even if they
are the number one player. Maybe Neelie Kroes can maken TomTom give
their specs too :)

Stefan