[OSM-dev] PostGIS installation problem

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 3 16:10:37 GMT 2008

On Sun, 2008-02-03 at 14:26 +0000, Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Having difficulty installing postgis on a machine with OpenSuSE 10.3.
> I installed from source (no rpm available) and followed the build
> instructions, then issued the createdb/createlang commands as detailed on the
> OSM wiki (Mapnik page).

A search on http://rpm.pbone.net/ provided a repository of pre-built Geo
RPMs including PostGIS for OpenSuse10.3 at:
ftp://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/repositories/Application:/Geo/openSUSE_10.3/

> Firstly there was a slight problem with the PostGIS make install instructions.
> It said to do it as postgres, but I got permission errors and temporarily had
> to change ownership of /usr/lib and /usr/bin to postgres to get that to work.

That sounds like the PostGIS docs are wrong, it'll have to be root if it
is going to write anything into those system directories.

> Now however I have a problem with running osm2pgsql. It seems postgresql
> cannot locate the PostGIS functions - even though the PostGIS shared library
> is in the /usr/lib/postgresql directory (standard postgresql lib directory).
> I get the error
>
> "SELECT AddGeometryColumn(....)
>
> No function matches the given name and argument types"
>
> Then I found on the postgis documentation I had to do this as well:
>
> psql -d [yourdatabase] -f lwpostgis.sql

That is OK. You have to load the PostGIS extensions into your specific
DB like this before you can use the PostGIS functions on it.

> However this fails with
>
> could not find function "coveredby" in /usr/lib/postgresql/liblwgeom.so
>
> Any ideas on this?

Sounds odd. Are you sure that you got the liblwgeom.so and lwpostgis.sql
from the same PostGIS release? I would expect them to be consistent.

What PostGIS version are you trying to install?

	Jon