[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] Error while uploading with JOSM

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Thu Feb 7 18:35:49 GMT 2008

On 30/01/2008 12:47, David Earl wrote (on talk):
> ... recently doing larger volumes, my experience has been the same as
> Cristiano - it fails after a few K, and then it won't upload again for
> another 10 minutes or so, and during that time I can't access
> www.openstreetmap.org either.

For the third time in a row, on separate occasions over three weeks that
I have been uploading a significant amount of data from JOSM, this has
happened again.

I think there is a problem that needs investigating.

It isn't specifically an API problem as the symptoms are that I get
locked out of the www.openstreetmap.org domain as a whole, not just JOSM
uploads.

Is there something in the website trying to prevent DoS attaacks or
something like that, that is locking out particular IP addresses for 20
- 25 minutes, that is counting API accesses (to
http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/...) as well as general web page
accesses (i.e. to www.openstreetmap.org)?

Are there any logs that can be consulted to see what happened to me when
my JOSM upload timed out around 18:00 GMT (my IP address is 81.107.40.180).

It gave me access again at 18:25, so it was 25 minutes or so that I
couldn't get through.

David