[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] Error while uploading with JOSM

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Thu Feb 7 21:58:23 GMT 2008

In message <47AB4F85.9080203 at frankieandshadow.com>
          David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com> wrote:

> On 30/01/2008 12:47, David Earl wrote (on talk):
> > ... recently doing larger volumes, my experience has been the same as
> > Cristiano - it fails after a few K, and then it won't upload again for
> > another 10 minutes or so, and during that time I can't access
> > www.openstreetmap.org either.
>
> For the third time in a row, on separate occasions over three weeks that
> I have been uploading a significant amount of data from JOSM, this has
> happened again.
>
> I think there is a problem that needs investigating.

Go ahead. I don't think it's a server problem though, so you'll
have to look at the network path between you and us.

> It isn't specifically an API problem as the symptoms are that I get
> locked out of the www.openstreetmap.org domain as a whole, not just JOSM
> uploads.

Well that's all the same server, so I'm not quite sure what you
mean by that?

> Is there something in the website trying to prevent DoS attaacks or
> something like that, that is locking out particular IP addresses for 20
> - 25 minutes, that is counting API accesses (to
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/...) as well as general web page
> accesses (i.e. to www.openstreetmap.org)?

Well if you have lots of simultaneous connections you might trigger
mod_evasive but one JOSM upload shouldn't do that. It doesn't have
any timeout either as far as I know - as soon as the connection count
from that IP address drops it can get in again.

> Are there any logs that can be consulted to see what happened to me when
> my JOSM upload timed out around 18:00 GMT (my IP address is 81.107.40.180).

There is no sign of mod_evasive locking you out, and the munin graphs
for that period show the server operating normally.

Are you sure you hadn't just lost network connectivity to UCL for
some reason? Were you actually able to connect to the server?

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/